Bald Mary's Bookshelf: The Divine Comedy of John Venner by Gregory Blake Smith

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The Divine Comedy of John Venner by Gregory Blake Smith

John Venner's character in The Divine Comedy of John Venner announces himself with the confession of his love for the last Shaker, a virgin from the dying sect of United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing.

Mother Ann:
I am a member of the world's people. I've got the fury and the mire running in my veins and the sickness thing in my soul. The moral mud of America sticks to me like nobody's buisness--ditto the dust of destruction--and if that's not enough, I'm in love with your final virgin.

The irreverently pious, and distinct narrative voice of John Venner is fun to read. There's a lot of great historical information thrown in about the Shakers too. He's not the easiest character to sympathize to as he swings between petulant child and tragic martyr. But then like others in the book, he charmed me by the end of the book. Often funny, and well done, where even a cat named Sometimes-why has a voice and a purpose, DCJV is a quick read and before you know it, you will be clapping shut the book, sorry it ended.

Gregory Blake is a Iowa Writer's Worshop Alumni:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home